There are some free Half term events, to help you with inspiration for photos:
- Wed 1st June 1pm – Meet Outside the Chalton Gallery with local mum and children
- Saturday 4th June 2pm Meet Outside the Chalton Gallery with local photographer John Carroll for history photo walk
- Fridays artist in residence at Chalton Gallery – (this week at 3pm)
Somers Town is changing, and locals are invited to contribute to a photographic record of the changing face of this unique area of London.
“We want locals to send in their view of their own neighbourhood. Somers Town has a rich heritage innovative social housing – we want to celebrate this through an exhibition of photos of Somers Town ‘Then’ in contrast to those of Now’. It’s also about local people building their own record of transition”
The top ten photos will feature in an exhibition by the SomersTown History Club of ‘then and now’ at this year’s Somers Town Festival on July 9th 2016 , alongside the rare archival photos in the ‘Somers Town then and now’ exhibition. Photos may also form part of the Holborn Archive.
It’s also a great opportunity for those with a passion for photography – the panel of judges include top Advertising agency, St Luke’s; The Guardian picture desk; and Central Saint Martins art school as well as local photographer John Carroll.
Young people are especially encouraged to pick up their camera or phone and take a good look about!
The only stipulation is that photos must be of Somers Town and by locals or those attending school in the area. Deadline is July 1st 2016 midnight.
PRIZES – Prizes will be awarded to winners at the Festival
- 1st prize £180 + chance of day experience at fashion photoshoot
- 2nd prize of £30.00
- 3rd prize of £20.00
- People’s favourite: £50 – prize voted for by locals at Festival July 9th
* ‘Early bird’ entries have the chance of being exhibited at The Chalton Street Gallery from 15th – 18th June in association with The London Architecture Festival (received by June 12th).
For more information and to enter, entrants are asked to upload their photos on www.aspaceforus.club
Alternatively, postcard size prints can be delivered to The Chalton Street Gallery, 96 Chalton Street London NW1 1HJ
Click away and ENJOY!